Well-Being & Parental Support
WHAT is WELL BEING and HOW is it delivered at ST. JOHN'S SCHOOL?
Our emotional literacy and well-being plays a vital role in the way we learn and behave. We want all our students to feel happy in school in order to reach their full potential.
However, there may be occasions in our lives when things can happen beyond our control e.g. friendship issues , feelings of anxiety or anger, family breakdowns or the death of a beloved pet or family member. Some children may not have the strategies and confidence to deal with these situations and may require additional support to overcome and understand what they are going
For further information on well-being support, please download the leaflet below.
Family Support Worker
Our family Support Worker (FSW) can work with you about a range of matters such as:
- Support for parents
- Understanding and managing your child’s behaviour
- Child development
- Reducing family conflict and arguments
- Housing, benefits and budgeting
- Feeling isolated
This can be done by:
- Helping you to identify the changes you want to make and supporting you to make those changes.
- Recognise and build on your family’s strength’s
- Help you access the support you need in the community
For further information on receiving support as well as contact information, please download the letter below.
Parent Carer Forum
The Parent Carer Forum is a way of bringing parents and carers together to create a strong community of families who have children with special needs.
Together the Parent Carer Forum can:
- Support other families by sharing information and experiences.
- Find help and learn about services.
- Promote inclusive practice.
- Feed-back to States departments and make suggestions about the needs of families and children with special needs so that services can be changed and updated.
- Work with providers to create quality services for parents, carers and their children.
For more information please visit the Parent Carer Forum website
Jersey Online Directory
This website provides details on how to access support groups, services, organisations and activities, in Jersey, that are right for you. To access this information, please contact Citizens Advice Jersey on 0800 735 0249 or click here
Parenting Support Services and the 'Triple P' Programme
Parenting Support Services work in conjunction with other teams in Primary and Secondary schools across the island delivering the Triple P (Positive Parenting Programme). This is a programme that offers ideas to help deal with the big and small parenting challenges that are part of family life. Triple P does not tell you how to be a parent but offers a range of strategies for you to choose the ones that fit your family.
They aim to help parents and carers of children and teenagers up to 18 years. They also deliver a programme for parents and carers of children with special needs. The programmes can also be delivered in Portuguese.
Triple P Positive Parenting programs help you:
- raise happy, confident children and teenagers
- manage behaviour in a positive way
- set family rules and routines that everyone follows
- get along better with your children or teenagers
- balance work and family commitments
For further information click here
Young Minds. Please see the link below for great tips how to help an anxious child.